pink

Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 50 - who wants to see some giant rhinestones?

I have all 60 three-inch rhinestones molded! Now all I need to do is polish them. I have - through trial and error - discovered that I need to hand polish them from 600, 800, and 1000 grit paper (at least) before I use the dremel. Even then, I'm having better luck hand polishing at 1500 and 2000 grit paper, and then a nail buff -  rather than using the dremel. Maybe it's my inexperience using a dremel, dunno, but it's working out better for me.

Below is a photo of about 56 of the rhinestones that I molded; the other 4 were in my scraproom. Up close are some of the rhinestone next to a water bottle for comparison. The rhinestones that are upside down still need to be polished. The rhinestones that are facing up have been polished at 600 and 800 grit; that's why they're still cloudy. Polishing is necessary to get rid of the cloudiness that occurs while the resin and catalyst sets; the catalyst generates moisture which gets trapped in the mold; it also makes the surface rough. If I don't use catalyst then it takes forever for the resin to set:


No comments:

Post a Comment