pink

Monday, March 21, 2011

Daily challenge - Day 22

ok! trying to get back on track here! I have many things to put the finishing touches on. Here is one: a giant paper flower! All it needs is a giant paper pin wheel. It can be used to decorate your child's room or play room. I'll even give DH credit for thinking of putting it in the yard on a clear day for party fun. What a great way to use paper you no longer want!

I painted a 7/8 inch dowel stick green, actually Bright Green (FolkArt, Acrylic Paint). Then I took a piece of 12x12 card stock about the same color, folded it in half, and cut out two hearts each one of varying lengths. Make sure the crease is there really good, this serves a purpose later. Choose your embossing folder or plate. I used one by Sizzix and ran it through my Big Kick. The crease from earlier should still be there and serves as the crease found down the center of many types of leaves.


As far as the "flower" itself, the first layer is 5 pieces of printed paper cut at 6x12 inches. I used EK Success punch "Circles". The next layer was 5 (I think, maybe 4.5)x12 inches; I think I used 3 sheets. The punch is Martha Stewart Doily Lace. The 3rd layer EK Success, Scallop Daisy. I think that was 2 sheets at 2 1/2x12. 4th and 5th layer was a Spellbinders Grande die with This to That pop dots by American Crafts; if you don't have the Spellbinders Grande dies (they ARE expensive), maybe there is something similar in your SVG files or Cricut carts with a scalloped edge. Top "layer" is a Prima Floral flower of my choice. Make sure you glue (glue gun preferred) large cut out circles between layers, bottom and top, for stability.

Using a glue gun adhere the leaves to the dowel and the dowel to the back of the flower. If you're going to use for decoration I recommend styrofoam in the flower pot. The photo shows the flower up against the door next to the door knob so you can see it's height and perspective.

Enjoy!:

1 comment: